Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Beliefs

Though at times it may seem I do not enjoy technology, or maybe that I don't want to use it in my classroom as a resource. I might seem a little old fashioned about the way I want to teach. It may be because I am uneducated on the matter, but I do think students need to understand technology and incorporate it in their lives. I believe that a child needs to know how to use the Internet and all it's tools, I believe that students need to know what the world expects of them, thy need to develop skills which will aid in a successful life of learning. In order to accomplish these things a child needs to be able to: blog, run a word processor, create a face book page, use the Internet as a search tool, use a spreadsheet, know how to use a handheld device, etc. There are endless ways for a child to learn from the world of technology. If the teacher does not allow technology in the classroom, the students will try and use it anyway or maybe not even come to class at all. I believe there is still a need for balance in schools, technology should be used as a tool and should be used to make the teacher a better teacher. I do not believe technology should replace the teacher, nor do I think that should ever be the case. I believe a student should come to class everyday willing to learn; that same child should not be using a phone or even a handheld to learn unless the teacher specifically grants that option. Children do not need to spend time in classes with great instruction texting and browsing the Internet.

I do not believe in the new WWW; meaning whatever,whenever, and wherever. I am old fashioned in this case because the use of technology is out of control in many areas of education. I think a child is not able to understand everything the Internet offers them. I have seen students playing with phones, trying to understand the device and it's functions and the lesson is never heard. I have seen this in the college courses i am taking now. If these people are anything like me then the whole educational experience is for naught. I do not want my students to be this way. I hope that sixth graders are not trying to bring gadgets into the classroom, if so then I guess I am being a little naive. i believe that there is a time and a place for everything. I believe the reason I am here learning to be a teacher is to help me integrate technology into the classroom as a tool not as a sole source of ecucation. I know I am learning great things to aid in the learning processes of children, and I know I will have many things to help me in my instruction. Technology is one of the tools I believe in using in the classroom to help my students learn, not to teach my students all they need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment