Sunday, February 7, 2010

Strengths and Weaknesses

What were your strength/weaknesses according to the UNI survey and NET Standards?During my time studying the content of the NET Standards and taking the UNI Survey, I realized I was a novice at most of the items presented. I noticed that if left to me,I would not be able to accomplish many things having to do with technology and computer based programs. I am OK with word processing if I am not needing to do anything too complicated,however, if I were given enough time with a word processor I could figure out about anything. I noticed that I have little to no experience with ethics or human issues with computer technology, I would not know where to begin if someone asked me what it meant. I am not very experienced with digital systems either, but again I could learn if I had enough time to do so. I have taken a class on excel, but it was a beginning class. I worked with it recently on an assignment and I realized I know nothing about it. Pretty much most of my knowledge has come from hands on experience and the things I have learned in Doc Water's classes.

I want to make a goal to be a technology based teacher in all facets, and use technology as a curriculum implemented tool. I don't want to be one of the teachers who uses nothing but the projector to present lectures. I want to be a teacher who can give the lecture and say, "if anyone wants to have the notes, they are on the Internet". This will mean I will need to know create a website, it will also mean I will need to know how to post information on the web. I want to be a teacher who can show a student how to implement technology into studies rather than be a teacher who is always asking, "what does that mean", and having students show me what's up. I am not to the point where I want all information in the classroom to be digital or on the Internet, but I do want the resources to be available to my students and I want to be the one to give it to them. I want to use the Internet as resources in all my subjects I am teaching. A student will learn much better in the future by having access to many different technologies to help them to learn. If I will be able to use technology to assess my students, I will have a much quicker transition into teaching content assessed. I am glad that grading is done online already in many schools, it just makes the information readily available to all who need to access it. I feel I need a little more information about how to implement grading into my personal teaching practices.

After having mentioned two things that I am not so good at or that I have little information about; I would like to take some additional classes or workshops on how to run excel or another spreadsheet program, and how to use a current grading system used by many schools in the area. If I could learn these two things right now, I think I could feel more comfortable about entering into a realm of personal undiscovered technological talent along with trying to be successful my fist year. I feel that I am not prepared to enter into a school yet. If I could get more help with these items, I know I will feel more prepared as a teacher. I would take a class on how to integrate tecnology into the classroom with many different subjents of teaching. For example, I would love to find a great program for math. I feel that math is boring in schools. If I were to implement a different technological activity each day into my math program, my students will learn to love learning math.

No comments:

Post a Comment