Sunday, February 28, 2010

Webquest 2

What? We are still working on web quest this week. We are doing it as a group depending on the age of students we want to teach. We had a really hard time coming up with the area we wanted to study. We decided to do it on the Ancient Egyptians and how the writings and goings on influenced the way they lived. We decided to have the our students be farmers who are wanting to live in an area of Ancient Egypt. They would be required to take a journey back in time to study writings and ancient Egyptian lifestyles. Having taken the journey and learned about different cities, they will then have the chance to choose witch one of the cities they would want to be a part of. We would have a mock trial to determine which one was the best city and what factors helped them to determine the fact. It is still up in the air how the final project will look, but I think we have a good basis of study that the students will enjoy. I think they will learn a lot about the subject while creating some great learning as well.

So what? I think I may be repetitive about the rest of the blog. I really do enjoy the fact that there is an activity on the web which will engage our students in higher order thinking skills. I believe that a lot of that has been done away with in the schools. I think it will be great with the ever changing technology we are experiencing. Why not combine the two of them and also let the students enjoy learning? I think it will be fun for the students to do something to break up the monotony of everyday learning. It is fun, but it does provide a great learning process for the students to learn.

Now what? I have great ideas for me as a future teacher. I want to incorporate many things in the classroom that I am learning now in school. I want to do all I can with creative arts in the classroom. I want to do all I can with backwards design and primary sources. I am trying to learn how to do these things without really having an understanding of all the things that I will actually be doing in the classroom. I guess I am being a little naive about how it will actually be, but I know that web quest is one thing that will be done in the classroom. I feel it is a great way of presenting material without having to involve a lot of lecture time. It is a way the students will be able to open their minds to a greater learning and have fun doing it. By having my students do web quests I will know that they will learn a great deal more than me talking to them. Having them take a journey through web quests is an excellent source of learning. I will create many for my students of the future, they will have a good time doing them as well.

Video Twitter in the classroom.
I remember when we talked about using twitter in our classroom, I don' know what happened. I didn't quite understand why a teacher would use this method of teaching. I thought that it would be too distracting for a teacher to deal with, but I understand better now that I saw the video. It is just to combine what the students are interested in and the subject being taught. The teacher said it was to get the students engaged in the subjects being taught. I think it is a good idea to use the strengths of the students to get their attention. It is a great way of helping them to understand a subject. Why not use what we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment